Legal Counsel - London
Legal Counsel - London
Ebury is a Global FinTech: we apply new technologies to enhance and automate financial services and processes. This allows small and medium-sized businesses to trade and transact internationally by eliminating boundaries related to more traditional procedures.
Founded in 2009, we are now positioned among the fastest-growing companies in the sector! Headquartered in London, we have more than 1000 staff covering over 50 nationalities (and counting) working across more than 27 offices worldwide and serving more than 45,000 clients every day.
Hard work pays off: Ebury has just received a £350 million investment from Banco Santander and has won over 20 internationally recognised awards such as the Growing Business of the Year 2019: Larger Company (Turnover £50m+) and Financial Times: 1000 Europe's Fastest-Growing Companies (which we have been awarded twice: 2017 and 2019!).
None of this would have been possible without what we’re most proud of: our great community. Enthusiastic, disruptive and collaborative teams, always ready to innovate and revolutionize the fast-paced Fintech dimension. If you want to develop your professional career in Finance and join an international environment, this is your place. Our small legal team in London is growing fast and this role offers a unique opportunity to play your part in Ebury's next chapter.
Ebury is looking for an experienced financial services regulatory lawyer (experience of payment services and e-money regulation preferred) to provide high quality legal and regulatory advice to the Ebury group to colleagues based in London and overseas. Experience of advising on governance matters and regulatory relations would be preferable. You will have a key role in managing legal and regulatory risks relating to the activities of the Ebury Group. We are looking for an enthusiastic, adaptable, self starting and driven individual who is keen to work in a fast-paced, dynamic and growing environment which is focused on building the Ebury brand and support its growth trajectory. You will have a high level of autonomy in managing your workload, reporting directly to the General Counsel. This role would ideally suit a lawyer who already has in house experience and is looking for a role that offers stretch and the ability to help shape the development of a Legal Department.
Show the world what Ebury is made of. Ready to join the revolution?
- Advising on a variety of financial services regulatory matters, with a particular focus on payment services and e-money regulation;
- Keeping colleagues informed of legal and regulatory developments in relation to legislation relevant to the Ebury Group, including payment services and e-money regulation.
- Advising on regulatory relations and supporting colleagues to build effective relationships with key regulators.
- Supporting the Company Secretary in advising on governance best practice and regulatory expectations in relation to governance
- Drafting and advising on a variety of documents including terms of business, bespoke financing arrangements with clients and strategic partnerships. As Ebury continues to innovate and expand globally, advising on new strategic initiatives and projects (which may involve setting up new entities, cross-border regulatory work and M&A activity, new product launches and the introduction of existing products into new territories).
- Representing the Legal Department in internal working groups and committees and in front of clients, partners, regulators and other third parties.
- Contributing to the overall development of the Legal Department (for example, precedents, team processes); and identifying the need for external legal advice and instructing and managing relationships with external legal counsel, including successfully managing budgets and ensuring high quality and good value legal advice is received).
- At least 5 years’ professional experience practising as a qualified lawyer with a demonstrable financial services regulatory experience. Payments and e-money experience is preferred;
- Understanding of governance best practice and importance of regulatory relations - experience of advising on both is preferred;
- Being comfortable with managing large and varied workload (to include corporate, commercial, dispute resolution and governance matters) to meet the demands of the business. Ability to turn hand to whatever legal issue arises;
- Excellent time management skills - balancing competing priorities and being able to flex style to work autonomously and in collaboration with business colleagues;
- An ability to distil complex legal and regulatory issues with a view to providing pragmatic legal advice to a range of stakeholders; and fluency in English and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- This is an excellent opportunity to join a small but growing legal team. We can offer a competitive compensation package as well as the following:
- Thanks to our induction and full training program you will get introduced to our products, teams and culture.
- Career Path: At Ebury, we are very much down to your drive and ambition: your success and efforts will be rewarded.
- Enjoy our Team Building activities and get to know the rest of Eburians.
- Free breakfasts: Coffee, tea, fresh fruit and cereals provided daily.