Senior Legal Counsel - Brussels
Senior Legal Counsel - Brussels
Ebury is a Global FinTech: we apply new technologies to enhance and automate financial services and processes. This allows small and medium-sized businesses to trade and transact internationally by eliminating boundaries related to more traditional procedures.
Founded in 2009, we are now positioned among the fastest-growing companies in the sector! Headquartered in London, we have more than 1000 staff covering over 50 nationalities (and counting) working across more than 27 offices worldwide and serving more than 45,000 clients every day.
Hard work pays off: Ebury has just received a £350 million investment from Banco Santander and has won over 20 internationally recognised awards such as the Growing Business of the Year 2019: Larger Company (Turnover £50m+) and Financial Times: 1000 Europe's Fastest-Growing Companies (which we have been awarded twice: 2017 and 2019!).
None of this would have been possible without what we’re most proud of: our great community. Enthusiastic, disruptive and collaborative teams, always ready to innovate and revolutionize the fast-paced Fintech dimension. If you want to develop your professional career in Finance and join an international environment, this is your place. Our office in Brussels is Ebury’s brand new EU headquarters and therefore offers this unique chance to join.
Ebury is looking for a financial services lawyer (experience of Fintech preferable but not essential) to provide high quality legal and regulatory advice to the Ebury group both in Belgium and overseas. As our first lawyer on the ground in Brussels, you will have a key role in managing legal and regulatory risks relating to our EEA-wide activity. We are looking for an enthusiastic and driven individual who is keen to work in a fast-paced, dynamic and growing company which is focused on building the Ebury brand and supporting its growth trajectory. The person who fills this role will report to the General Counsel and Company Secretary, based in London.
Show the world what Ebury is made of. Ready to join the revolution?
- Advising on a variety of matters, with a particular focus on payments and regulatory issues arising from rules and market practice which apply to the payments, FX and trade finance activity;
- Drafting and advising on a variety of documents including terms of business, bespoke financing arrangements with clients, strategic partnerships, regulatory submissions and project work which may involve setting up new entities, cross-border regulatory work and M&A activity;
- As Ebury continues to innovate, advising on new product launches and the introduction of existing products into new territories;
- Working with business people and the Compliance Department to assess the impact of new rules and advise on implementation where relevant;
- Representing the Legal Department in internal working groups and in front of clients, partners, regulators and other third parties; and
- Supporting the Company Secretary in advising group directors and managing company affairs in accordance with good corporate governance and regulatory standards.
Key skills requirements include:
- At least 5 years’ professional experience practising as a qualified lawyer with a demonstrable financial services regulatory experience. Payments experience is preferred;
- Experience of liaising with regulatory and supervisory authorities;
- Being comfortable with managing large and varied workload (to include corporate, commercial, dispute resolution and governance matters), balancing competing priorities and being able to flex style to work autonomously and in collaboration with large teams;
- An ability to distil complex legal and regulatory issues with a view to providing pragmatic legal advice to a range of stakeholders; and
- Fluency in French and / or Dutch as well as English and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a growing business with a well-known and supportive majority shareholder in Banco Santander SA. We can offer a competitive compensation package as well as the following:
- Thanks to our induction and full training program you will get introduced to our products, teams and culture. Feel a member of our community from day 1!
- Career Path: At Ebury, we are very much down to your drive and ambition: your success and efforts will be rewarded.
- Enjoy our Team Building activities and get to know the rest of Eburians.
- Free breakfasts: Coffee, tea, fresh fruit and cereals provided daily.