Compliance Officer & MLRO - Romania
Compliance Officer & MLRO - Romania
Ebury is a Global FinTech: we apply new technologies to enhance and automate financial services and processes. This allows small and medium-sized businesses to trade and transact internationally by eliminating boundaries related to more traditional procedures.
Founded in 2009, we are now positioned among the fastest-growing companies in the sector and have recently reached Unicorn Status! Headquartered in London, we have more than 1000 staff covering over 50 nationalities (and counting!) working across more than 27 offices worldwide and serving more than 45,000 clients every day.
Hard work pays off: Ebury has just received a £350 million investment from Banco Santander and has won over 20 internationally recognised awards such as the Growing Business of the Year 2019: Larger Company (Turnover £50m+) and Financial Times: 1000 Europe's Fastest-Growing Companies (which we have been awarded twice: 2017 and 2019!).
None of this would have been possible without what we’re most proud of: our great community. Enthusiastic, disruptive and collaborative teams, always ready to innovate and revolutionise the fast-paced Fintech dimension.
As a result of phenomenal growth and ongoing expansion, we are now looking for a Compliance Officer based in Bucharest to assist the Head of Global Regulatory Compliance and support Ebury’s growth and ensure it continues its journey seamlessly without any disruptions in Europe even after Brexit.
The main purpose of this role is to assist in maintaining the integrity and compliance of the Romanian office, ensuring adherence to regulatory requirements, reporting obligations and maintaining an open, transparent and effective relationship with our regulators in Romania and other jurisdictions where the company operates.
In addition, this role will assist with the implementation of policies and procedures in Romania and keeping them up to date when needed, as well as supporting our training and development program.
What we are looking for:
- We are looking for a self-driven Compliance Officer with at least 4-5 years of relevant experience within the financial industry and who is an expert in regulatory (PSD2, MIFID2, etc) and AML compliance and has the ability to take ownership of parts of a Compliance framework in a fast-paced Fintech environment.
- The person must demonstrate proven organisational and time management skills, have excellent communications skills (both written and verbal), with the ability to gain credibility fast and influence key stakeholders. The working environment is fast paced, agile and highly results orientated so the individual must be comfortable working within this type of highly rewarding, dynamic environment.
- In addition, the individual must be comfortable with working autonomously, have relevant Compliance/Legal qualifications and a good level of commercial awareness. It will be pivotal to have good interpersonal skills to interact with the local regulatory bodies. Proficiency in English and Romanian is required. A law degree holder is preferable.
Key Responsibilities are, but not limited to:
- Ensure adherence to regulatory requirements in Romania and other markets
- Assist with reporting obligations and ensure compliance with statutory deadlines (including but not limited to AML Reports, Payments Reports, etc.)
- Liaise with Bank of Romania, ASF, and other regulatory bodies, ensuring effective and smooth communication
- Develop and maintain relevant parts of the compliance framework (AML/CFT and Regulatory Policies)
- Liaise closely with the Group Compliance (London) to ensure that compliance policies and procedures are consistent with company policy
- Help improving the operational compliance processes based on the local policies (liaise with the MLROs and local ops teams)
- Provide ongoing training about the products and ensure the sales team is continuously monitored for the regulated activities
- Keep abreast of circulars/recommendations from the Regulator and continuously ensure that the Entity’s policies and procedures adhere to these
- Audit the first line of defense procedures and processes
- Assist with external AML audits
- Attend regulatory forums and industry meetings to keep up to date with industry standards
- Provide advice on High Risk clients/escalations
- Assist with ad-hoc queries from the business teams
- Desirable to have experience dealing with the FCA and the NBB