Ebury is a FinTech success story, and one of Europe's fastest-growing fintech companies.
We believe that in order for businesses to prosper and grow, there need to be as few boundaries as possible. We empower small and medium-sized businesses to trade and transact internationally through our state-of-the-art technology platform.
The talent of our 1000+ multicultural staff, combined with our cutting edge technology, tailored product range, and exceptional customer service has enabled us to double in size year after year. Today we have 28 offices across the world, with even more exciting expansion plans thanks to a £350MN strategic investment from Santander Bank.
An investment of this scale will significantly accelerate our next phase of international growth through both geographical-reach and product-offerings.
Even though our tremendous growth, we maintain a vibrant and enjoyable company culture - accelerate your career as part of our winning and growing team!
This is a unique opportunity to join at an exciting time for Ebury and to help us to grow our business significantly over the coming years.
Taking the role of Operations Manager - Athens you will be responsible for establishing and leading a second European back office hub for the business out of Athens.
The back office hub will be responsible for supporting the operational functions of the business, including client onboarding, FX trade processing, cash management, outbound payment processing and related client support in these areas, and will work alongside Ebury’s existing European back office hub in Malaga, Spain.
It is expected that the role will develop over time in line with the growth of the business, with the successful candidate growing the team to support business activity.
The successful candidate will work closely with the VP of Operations, based in London, UK, the Head of Transactional Operations, based in Malaga, Spain, and the Client Onboarding and AML and Sanctions Managers, based in Malaga, Spain, as well as the Head of Compliance, based in London, and the local MLRO, based in Dubai.
Responsibilities will include:
- Establishment of an Athens-based team of 2 - 3 to support operational workflows
- Ongoing hiring and development of the team to support business growth
- Management of the following key operational functions/processes:
- FX trade confirmation, validation and processing (including settlement)
- Reconciliation of client funds received to settle FX transactions
- Instruction, processing and execution of outbound currency payments via SWIFT or alternative payment systems
- Screening and monitoring of payments in line with regulatory rules
- Conducting CDD and KYC checks on new clients
- Client support in relation to the above, including online platform support
- Adherence to all internal regulatory, anti-money-laundering, anti-terrorist-financing and related policies and procedures
- Management and oversight of team workload, including ensuring quality standards are upheld, SLAs are met, and workload is prioritised appropriately
- Act as first point of escalation within team for queries and/or to resolve issues
- Ensuring knowledge of team members is up-to-date and appropriate for the work required, and identifying training needs and addressing as appropriate
- Monitoring team and individual performance, and preemptively identifying trends, issues and bottlenecks
- Recognition of great performance and highlighting individual and team accomplishments
- Leading and motivating team members to fulfil their potential and perform to their highest ability
- Coaching and mentoring team members as part of learning and development
- Support in ad-hoc projects within the department and wider business, as required
- Upholding, transmitting and reinforcing company and departmental values
- Contribute to the improvement of processes by providing ideas and feedback that strike a balance between efficiency and risk
- Actively communicate the status of changes impacting processes and workflows, and escalate problems swiftly, as needed
- Maintain consistent reporting routines with management and team covering various ongoing projects
- Use critical thinking to provide efficient solutions to problems impacting the wider team, which take into account scalability, efficiency, service and risk
- Build and maintain strong relationships with other departments, both inside and outside Operations
The successful candidate will be:
- Familiar with the concepts of scalability, efficiency, risk and service, and able to apply these in day-to-day work
- Proactive and highly organised, able to work to deadlines, multi-task, and prioritise and re-prioritise workload as needed, in line with business requirements
- An excellent communicator, both in writing and verbally
- Analytical and with a problem-solving mindset, with the ability to find solutions to problems that are appropriate to the scale of the challenge and take into account impact at a company level
- Familiar with the concept of continuous improvement, and proactively seek to expand their own knowledge and that of the team, with the aim of levelling up the company
- Passionate about people, with a drive to support the learning and development of team members
- Empathetic, with good interpersonal and leadership skills
- Able to operate effectively within a fast-paced and high-pressure environment
- Comfortable working in a high-change environment, with the ability to rapidly adapt to changing products, processes and procedures
- Motivated and driven, with a strong desire to make Ebury a success
The successful candidate will have:
- 3 - 5 years experience working within a back-office role, ideally in a management position
- Knowledge of FX, cross-border payments and cash management
- Familiar with MT103, MT940 and MT942 messaging
- Understanding of KYC, CDD and AML requirements in a European context